Friday, February 1, 2008

It's been a long week.

It's been a while so I have lots of updates:

Sickness--I am feeling tons better. My cough is finally starting to break up. Ryan, on the other hand, seems to be going in the wrong direction. I took him to the doctor on Wednesday for his 2 year check up. He still had a cough but for the most part was feeling better. He had 2 shots that day. Wednesday morning, he woke up with a fever but I just associated it with his shots. I gave him some Tylenol and he was up and playing and seemed to be feeling fine. By 1:30, his fever was 104. I know they say fevers in kids are different than in adults but they still scare me. I gave him some Mortrin and sent him to bed for his nap. When he woke up, his fever magically disappeared. But I knew we weren't out of the woods yet. Bedtime came around and it spiked again. 104.5 Great. More Motrin and bedtime. He woke up this morning and it is up again so we will be heading to the doctor this morning.

Ethan--We got the blood test results from the hematologist. He does have the blood clotting disorder called von Willebrand disease. We have to go back in a couple of weeks to go over medication and she will tell us more about it. I am dreading this day. Ethan has to have 3 blood draws in 3 hours. Since he is hypothyroid, he has to have his blood drawn several times a year so he knows what it is and that it hurts. Getting his blood drawn is like wrestling with a lion. Noone likes to get it done so I can't blame him. The nurse did say we could try an IV so that he won't have to be poked so much so we might try that but I have a feeling that won't be much better. He will have the blood drawn when we first get there, they will administer the meds, wait about 30 minutes, draw it again, wait an hour and then do the last draw. They have to make sure that his blood will react to the meds. The good news is that the medication is a nasal spray. Once we get this under control, we will go back to the ENT to have a blood vessel in his nose cauterized.

Ryan got into speech therapy. We were supposed to start today but with him being so sick, we are obviously not going. We will start 2/15. His teacher with MRDD will also start this day.

I think that is everything for now.

UPDATE: Got back from taking Ry to the doctor and she thinks he has another virus. Ears, throat & chest were all clear so we just have to wait it out....again.

1 comment:

WineLover said...

ugh, the fever returned...let me know what they say today at the doc's