Monday, June 23, 2008

Tomorrow is the day.

Ryan starts at Easter Seals tomorrow. He will go three days a week, for 3 hours in the morning, for the next 9 weeks. During the summer, it is mostly a structured day camp with teachers that work with special needs kids. We are hoping we can continue this placement in the fall where he will also receive occupational & speech therapies, as well as the structured teaching setting.

My nerves are shot though. I was packing his new little Diego backpack with his clothes and snacks and I couldn't hold back the tears. He is so young. How do I know he won't cry for me the whole time? How do I know that one little kid won't come up to him and totally set him off? How do I know we are doing the right thing for him? Deep down, I know this is the best thing for him. All of his teachers & therapist tell me that but it is very hard not to be there, to hold him when he needs me. He seems to adjust to adults faster then the kids so I am hoping he bonds with one of his teachers quickly.

I am expecting lots of tears tomorrow, from both of us, but I am hoping Ryan has fun. I told myself I am not allowed to cry until I get back to the car. The good thing is that Ethan also has vacation bible school this week so I will have a couple of hours to compose myself.

1 comment:

Amy Lemaniak said...

Kelly, I'll be thinking of you guys tomorrow. Good luck and I'm sure he'll do great!